Buried Cherry Cookies & Butter Cookies (recipes)
Buried Cherry Cookies
Makes 42-48 cookies
1 jar (10 ounce) maraschino cherries (42-48)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (6 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk or low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. Halve any large cherries.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer in medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour using a wooden spoon.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press your thumb into the center of each ball.
- Place a cherry in each center.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk.
- Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover (frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice if necessary).
Note: Do not substitute imitation chocolate pieces.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out and cut your favorite shapes.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add icing (optional).